I’ve been wrestling lately with a major life decision: Should I go with Alexa or Google for my smart home speaker? I want the most knowledgeable assistant sitting on my kitchen counter so I can ask it to play music, set timers, and tell me a joke. I’ve spent way too much time scouring the internet and trying to decide which system is best.
My quest for the smartest smart speaker is pretty silly and trivial. But we see in Job 38-39 that when it comes to what’s truly important in life, there is One who knows more than our human minds or any computer can fathom. I’ve always thought of this familiar passage as God’s somewhat-snarky way of putting Job in his place: “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding” (Job 38:4).
However, as we read these two chapters, we see a mind-blowing description of God’s knowledge of and rule over all of creation. I’d encourage you to grab your Bible and read Job 38-39. Here are a few highlights:
– God determined the measurements of the earth, and the morning stars sang as He created it. (Job 38:5-7)
– God commands each and every morning. (Job 38:12)
– Each lightning bolt answers to Him as He directs them where to go. (Job 38:22-38)
– God provides food for each animal He has made. (Job 38:35)
– When a mountain goat or a deer gives birth, God knows it. (Job 39:1-4)
– God gives the seas their limits, rules over the weather, created the animals with their instincts, and puts the stars in their places.
He is God, and you are not—this truth is both humbling and deeply comforting. The God who knows every time a mountain goat gives birth is the One who cares for you. Who sent His Son to die for you. Who made you His child and works all things together for your good.
No matter what you face this week, you can trust the powerful, all-knowing God.
Can we be email friends?
Sign up now and receive a free 21 day devotional series!